Howto - Duracoating a T-Touch

A forum purchase yielded a very stratched but otherwise functional watch. In an effort to revive the watch and cover up the dull gray Titanium case and band, i gave Duracoat a try. I figured the if the weapons grade coating holds for my camping gear, it'd be right at home for the sports watch.

 

Tools and Materials

Materials:________
- Duracoat paint and hardener
- Degreaser
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Clear plastic tape
Tools:____________
- Spray paint kit
- Watch band removeal tools
- Sharp knife
- Glove and mask + well ventilated room
Cost:_____________ ~ $100 for the coating + starters spray paint kit

Step-by-Step

1. The parts needs to be disassembled as far as possible to be degreased thoroughly. I initially tried to keep the watch case intact and just plugged up the ventilation holes with wax, but decided against it in case the wax get in the way of the coating. The case back was removed but i opted to keep the bezzle and buttons less i destroy the watch in the process of removing it.

2. Sanding the parts is optional. The brushed finish on the T-Touch titanium should be enough for the Duracoat to bite onto. Light sanding using 150-grit sandpaper was applied to high-wear areas and already scrached up surfaces.

3. To prevent the coating from glueing down the bezzle and the buttons, paper spacers are inserted as a space holder. For the crystal, clear plastic tape was used as a shield and cut carefully to shape.

4. A blast of compressed air was used to clear any dust or grit before coating

5. Duracoat was mixed with its hardener at the suggested 12:1 ratio in the spray paint bottle. Matte black was the colour of choice here so as to not deviate too far from the normal patllet seen in sports watchs. As it was not practical to hang the small parts up for coating, the coating was done on a piece of tinfoil.

6. The nozzle was opened close to max for the first coat and the parts were coated with combinations of short bursts and even strokes at roughly 2 inches away. The parts were then allowed to dry before being flipped over to coat the other side. The second coating was done with minimal nozzle opening and bursts from roughly 1 feet out. This gave the parts a rough, gritty, metalic texture instead of the glossed black plastic feel of the first even coating.

7. Areas that were finished with an inconsistent coat were lightly sanded, cleared with compressed air, and coated again.

8. Perhaps the hardest part... wait for the paint to dry.

9. Assembly. The thin Duracoat coating should not affect the fitting on the joints.

Thoughts

This was a lot harder than i thought it'd be... to get the coating to be uniform across all parts and finish it

inforesearchreviews
howtophotosch